Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development.

When I think of fulfilling Standard 3 within my EDUC 491 Practicum, the thing that always seems to come to mind is how I spent my time teaching to my 1 student who is hard-of-hearing as well as on the spectrum.

Throughout my time in Kindergarten, I began learning about how I can better support this individual learner as it was clear that her needs were very different than other students within my classroom. I had the very cool opportunity to wear an FM system provided by SD57 in order for her to hear me better, as well as work with different experts to help me learn how to use ASL in the classroom (numbers 1-10, sit, toilet, play, job, teacher, focus, etc.) Although I knew my student could hear me, especially with the FM system (as she would respond when I asked if she could hear me), I recognized that she needed the ASL as a secondary reinforcement. This really aided with her learning as a whole.

Furthermore, I really wanted to make sure that she felt apart of our learning community and that other students could better understand her learning needs. Therefore, I decided to teach the students a lesson on ASL for the numbers 1-10, as well as include ASL into some of our daily routine (songs, toilet, etc.). The students absolutely love pointing out that I am doing a sign in ASL, as well as trying to participate in using these signs as well. This, of course, is not expected in the classroom as not all the students fine motor skills are as advanced as others and it is therefore quite difficult for them, but they still try their best and it fills my heart with so much joy!

Here is a link to the ASL numbers from 1-10 lesson: