WOW. I cannot believe that tomorrow is my final day of being a Teacher Candidate. I am filled with so many emotions, both joyous and sad. I am really going to miss my Kinders and the overall community here at Vanway Elementary!

This practicum was filled with SO MUCH growth! I feel like a completely different person and teacher to who I was last year at this time (or even just last semester). I was so worried going into this practicum. Worried about not being able to handle teaching full-time, worried about teaching Kindergarten (a grade that was my DREAM but lacked experience with) and so much more. I feel like everything came so naturally to me this time around. Primary is definitely where I am suited to teach. I feel like my teacher presence was my greatest area of growth as I truly felt like the classroom teacher at all times. Students listened to me, they asked me for help, they definitely viewed me as their teacher. Even now, some of the students are struggling to adapt back to my CT being the full-time teacher as we begin our phase out period.

One area that I saw a lot of growth in was my classroom management skills. During my time in Kindergarten, I had the opportunity to construct a behaviour chart for my classroom in order to help manage my classroom. I was really proud of how it worked out in the end because it allowed me to reward the STAR (safe, teachable, accountable, respectful) behaviour in my class. This helped all of my students in my class be successful, as well, it set me up for success while teaching. I was very proud of how this turned out and I believe it really allowed me to step into that teacher role.

Another area that I saw a lot of growth in was my planning. I had the opportunity to complete unit plans for English Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science as well as move onto writing detailed daybooks instead of lessons plans (except for formal lesson plans, of course). With the freedom to spend less time writing out lesson plans, it gave me the opportunity to spend more time focusing on my daybook and how to incorporate new and exciting things into my teaching. Without the worry of spending 2 hours per lesson plan, I was able to thrive while planning my days. I was able to cater my planning to what worked best for me and what suits my own learning best.

This practicum truly left an imprint on my heart. I love each and every one of my students so much and I can’t believe that, after tomorrow, I will never get to see them again. I have built so many wonderful relationships and special bonds with my Kinders. I’ve watched them grow so much in the past 10 weeks and am so proud of each and every one of them. It is bittersweet leaving.

As I move onto my own teaching career (I am blessed to have the opportunity to be hired as a Grade 1/2 teacher at Cedars Christian School), I will look back at my time in EDUC 491 and all of the things that I have learned in this program. I am so happy to have had this time in this education program.

THANK YOU!